The Common, Monk's Hill
The Common on Monk’s Hill was granted in 1859 to Admiral Sir Provo William Percy Wallis who live in Funtington. There were a number of conditions, including that the land was at all times to be used as a place for exercise and recreation. It was then passed through inheritance to a number of people before being bought by the Parish Council in 1948 for £40. In 1973, the Parish Council registered the land as a charity (Charity Commission number 265105) to protect it from future development. A governing document is available.
The Common consists of four acres of open space overlooking the hills of the South Downs National Park, and is ideal for a range of sports and leisure activities. It includes a fenced off children’s playground, which was refurbished with the latest play equipment in 2018 and 2020, adult outdoor exercise equipment, football goal posts, picnic tables and benches, and a car park.
An oak tree was planted in 2018 at The Common to celebrate the achievements of Tim Peake – British astronaut from Westbourne. Tim also formally opened the refurbished playground.
The recreation ground at Mill Road is leased by the Parish Council from Chichester District Council. It includes a large open space with football goal posts, a children’s play area suitable for younger and older children, a skate park, a football/basketball pitch, and adult outdoor exercise equipment. There are also a number of benches and picnic tables and a car park.
The Parish Council owns the land used for the allotments and leases it to the Westbourne Allotment Association.